Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||18th January 1978 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||16th January 1978|
|Next episode||23rd January 1978|
Emily makes an effort to cope with Ernie's funeral. She is surprised by the amount of wreaths that arrive. Annie has a cold so she has to miss Ernie's funeral. As a mark of respect she doesn't open the Rovers until after the funeral. Norah Seddon, Ken, Bet, Betty, Mike, Ivy, Mavis, Ray, Elsie and Suzie help Emily bury Ernie. Suzie can't stop crying. Ernie's friend Rev Hope from the Mawdsley Street Chapel Mission conducts the service. Emily shows no emotion at the graveside. Ernie is buried in the family plot. Albert's foot keeps playing him up. Ivy breaks down at the funeral. Mike pays for the funeral and offers Emily any financial help. Bet is depressed after the funeral and tries to get the residents to get back to normal as soon as possible. Norah takes Emily home with her.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Sally Robson - Suzan Farmer
- Norah Seddon - Cynthia Michaelis
- Rev Hope - Robert Vahey
- Mr Firth - Jim Marsh
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- North Cross Cemetery
- TV Times synopsis: The Street rallies around Emily Bishop in her hour of need. Albert Tatlock plots to ensure that nephew Ken Barlow and chiropodist Sally Robson become better acquainted. (Note: The magazine gave the character's surname as "Robinson")
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 20,386,000 viewers (2nd place).
Emily Bishop: "Killed. That's the word Ken. That's what's happened to Ernest. He's been killed. And now he's been buried. And he's lying in that silly box in that cold hole and I want him back, I want him back."
|January 1978 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|