Elsie is woken up in the night by noises in the loft. She fears it's a rat. She and the girls make so much noise they wake the Ogdens. Renee's mother is taken ill so she goes to Lancaster to look after her. Mavis looks after the shop for her. Eddie investigates the noises in Elsie's loft. He finds pigeons nesting in the loft. Emily returns home. She feels very much alone. Len tells Elsie there's slates missing in the Ogdens' roof and as there's no dividing wall the pigeons are coming into her part. Hilda is astounded to hear she's got a slate missing. She tells Elsie she won't repair the roof as the pigeons aren't bothering her. Mavis arrives at Emily's with her case and tells Emily she's moving in to look after her. Suzie tries to block the hole in the roof with newspaper, she slips and her foot goes through the Ogdens' ceiling.
- Elsie Howard - Patricia Phoenix
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 11 Coronation Street - Back bedroom and back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back bedroom, back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- TV Times synopsis: Birds in the roof spark off a row between Hilda Ogden and neighbour Elsie Howard. The Rovers Return regulars welcome back widow Emily Bishop.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 18,000,000 viewers (5th place).
|February 1978 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th|