|ITV transmission date||15th May 1978 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||10th May 1978|
|Next episode||17th May 1978|
Billy arrives. He contacts Joan Davies and tells her to come over from Derby. Annie is delighted to have both her children with her. She tells them she's worried that whoever takes over the brewery will throw her out. Ralph Curtis arrives and gives Hilda a scarf from Pennsylvania. Jim Conran phones and gives Ray and Len the hotel job. Betty puts Fred up for the night as Joan takes his room. Hilda is embarrassed when Stan falls asleep whilst Ralph is talking. Glenn Miller is on the radio so they start to jive.
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- 37 Hillside Crescent - Living room
- First appearance of Billy Walker since 26th October 1977.
- Except for the final few seconds, the closing theme is replaced by the jitterbug music as Hilda Ogden and Ralph Curtis dance in front of a disbelieving Stan Ogden and Eddie Yeats.
- TV Times synopsis: Annie Walker's children, Billy and Joan, turn up because they're worried about her. How will Stan Ogden react when his wife Hilda's former boyfriend, an ex-G.I., arrives?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,557,000 viewers (4th place).
- The Granada Plus repeat of this episode on 4th August 1997 was edited down for timing reasons and the following cuts were made: in Part One, 11" from the beginning of the opening scene where Betty Turpin reads off Annie Walker's shopping list in the Corner Shop, 20" from the end of Annie's scene with Billy where Billy discretely calls Joan Davies, 14" from the start of the next scene where Hilda Ogden comes downstairs singing, 18" from the Street scene where Hilda awaits Ralph Curtis's arrival, and from Part Two, a scene of length 22" where Betty Turpin and Fred Gee arrive at Betty's house was removed entirely.
|May 1978 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|