Annie tells Ena that Sam has disappeared. Ena advises her to check her silver. Annie is shocked by the insinuation and more so when Jack tells her he's already gone through their things and verified that nothing has been taken. Albert looks for Sam after being stood up at the pictures. Annie tells him he left the Rovers for family reasons. Swindley is shortlisted as candidate for the PPOP. Emily is convinced he will win the elections. Swindley is relaxed about it as there won't be an election for at least a year. Ken starts work on a second novel. Swindley decides that his article in the church Gazette will be titled "Uncle Sam, the best-loved character I have known". Jack doesn't like Annie lying to the customers about Sam's whereabouts. Ena shows Annie a newspaper report carrying a story of an arsonist at work in Newcastle. They fear it is Sam. The Walkers search for Sam but no one has seen him. Annie is afraid he's thrown himself in the canal. Martha is dying to know what's going on between the Walkers and Ena but Ena gives nothing away. Martha gets tickets to the theatre from her daughter Lily's husband Wilf for her birthday and takes Ena and Minnie. Elsie goes out on a date. Jack tells Len that Sam has phoned and said he's poorly. On her return, Ena discovers that Sam has been hiding in the mission since last night.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Front room
- Glad Tidings Mission Hall - Vestry
- 15 Mawdsley Street - Yard
- Gamma Garments
- Channel Television was launched on Saturday 1st September, 1962 and therefore this was the first episode of the programme to be seen by viewers on those islands.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Frank Barlow (Frank Pemberton) and Harry Hewitt (Ivan Beavis) are credited but do not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Annie Walker fears the worst and Ena discovers an intruder
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,616,000 homes (1st place).
|September 1962 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th|