|ITV transmission date||29th May 1978 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||24th May 1978|
|Next episode||31st May 1978|
Clayton's Warehouse is gutted. Len worries about losing the penalty clause. Another supplier agrees to supply the material for cash. They wait for the insurance company to pay up. Steve, Fred and Eddie dress as babies and the race starts. The men have to drink a pint in eight pubs as fast as they can. Steve finds the drinking hard while Mavis finds it hard work pushing Eddie. They change places and go down the back alleys. Suzie and Steve win the race by a neck. Ena, as steward, reveals that Suzie drank half of Steve's last pint so they are disqualified and the Loftus' are proclaimed the winners. Mavis and Eddie's pram wheel buckles and they don't finish the course. Doug Clayton tells Len and Ray that the warehouse was insured, but not the contents.
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Doug Clayton - Tommy Edwards
- Ted Loftus - Ted Morris
- Freda Loftus - Poppy Lane
- Alma Walsh - Joyce Kennedy
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Builder's Yard - Office
- Clayton's Warehouse - Exterior
- Jubilee Terrace
- The Flying Horse - Public
- Unknown streets and ginnels in Weatherfield
- This episode was transmitted at 7.00pm.
- TV Times synopsis: Who will be the winners of the great Bank Holiday pram race? But it's a black day for Ray Langton and Len Fairclough when they make a shocking discovery about their fire losses.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 10,550,000 viewers (20th place). This somewhat low figure in comparison to surrounding episodes is explained by this edition being transmitted on the Whit Monday Bank Holiday.
- This episode was in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005. The version included was that which aired on Granada Plus satellite channel in 1997, which was shorter than the original version by several minutes.
|May 1978 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|