|ITV transmission date||5th July 1978 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Script editor||Leslie Duxbury|
|Previous episode||3rd July 1978|
|Next episode||10th July 1978|
The blacklegs refuse to touch the machines as they didn't know anything about the strike. Mike pays them to sit around and chat to make the pickets think they are working. Annie phones the police over the riot at the factory. The blacklegs fear the pickets will get them and refuse to stay in the factory. Annie lifts the ban on Eddie drinking in the Rovers. Ena refuses to ask the Social Services for a bed. The police make a clearing in the picket to get the blacklegs out of the factory. Eddie starts a collection to buy Ena a new bed. Mike tells Ivy he'll take Hilda back but refuses to pay the girls for the time they've had off. The girls vote to return to work. Mike offers Elsie her old job at the factory. She asks for time to think it over. She feels that the job belonged to Elsie Howard and she wants a fresh start for Elsie Tanner. Hilda is horrified that the strikers have gone back to work and she's got her job back. She worries that the factory girls will beat her up if she continues at the Abattoir so gives it up.
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Howard")
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ida Clough - Helene Palmer
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Muriel Clough - Angela Catherall
- Phyllis Jameson - Lizzie McKenzie
- Joyce Banks - Patricia Ford
- Sergeant Cummings - Michael Melia
- Police Constable - Paul Ambrose
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Community Centre flat - Living room
- Baldwin's Casuals - Office, sewing room and loading bay
- The Kabin
- Last appearance of Ida Clough until 18th December 1978.
- Last appearances of Vera Duckworth and Ivy Tilsley until 11th December 1978.
- TV Times synopsis: The strike ends at last - but who wins?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,900,000 viewers (3rd place).
|July 1978 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|