Bet looks for a new flat. Renee feels bad about it. Joe leaves Daisy Hibbert so Renee goes to visit her in Lancaster. Eddie and Emily collect £40 for Ena's new bed. She is touched but refuses to accept their charity. Albert suggests the residents replace Ena's bed with a new one so she can't object. Bet finds a flat in Gas Street but needs a cooker. Alf says she can have his old one. Elsie lands a supervisor's job in Salford. She doesn't know if she wants it or not; she wants to reassess her life. Eddie breaks into Ena's flat and leaves the money. She returns it. Emily gets Eddie to steal Ena's bed so she has to accept the money. Renee is upset as Joe has taken all Daisy's money. She feels that she'll have to let her have the flat. Alf is horrified at the thought.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix (Credited as "Elsie Howard")
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop and back room
- Community Centre flat - Living room
- This was Brian Finch's last episode as writer until Episode 2693 (21st January 1987).
- TV Times synopsis: How will Alf and Renee Roberts react to the threat of a mother-in-law as a lodger? The Rovers regulars need a brainwave to overcome Ena Sharples' resistance to their help.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 12,200,000 viewers (6th place).
|July 1978 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|