Ray has enough of sleeping on the sofa. Stan and Eddie are forced to carry the ladders as they don't have the cart. Peter tells Ken he realises how difficult it must have been for him after Val died. Deirdre feels that everyone knows about Ray's affair and are talking about her. The police tell Stan they've checked his alibi and he's clear - he can also have the cart back. The police find Eddie's fingerprints on the cart. Stan says he hasn't seen Eddie for years. The police tell Hilda that Stan was at the races when the cart was stolen. She goes for Stan. Peter returns to Glasgow. Eddie is horrified that the police are after him and that Stan has ruined his alibi by saying he hasn't seen him. Ray accuses Deirdre of punishing him. She doesn't know what she wants from the marriage anymore.
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ray Langton - Neville Buswell
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- The Kabin
- Last appearance of Peter Barlow until 31st March 1986 and final appearance of Joseph McKenna in the role. The role is taken over by David Lonsdale in his next appearance.
- This was the last episode of Coronation Street to be transmitted by Southern Television until 8th November as the station had been blacked out from 5.40pm on 27th October in a dispute with the ACTT (Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians) over a productivity claim. When the station resumed broadcasting on 7th November the station management chose not to transmit the episodes they had missed during the duration of the strike but instead to start the next episode of Coronation Street - Episode 1859 - with a recap of the events of the missed instalments.
- TV Times synopsis: Why are the police on Stan and Hilda's trail? Ray Langton asks wife Deirdre a question about their future.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 14,650,000 viewers (7th place).
|October 1978 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|