Elsie returns from Majorca. She enjoyed herself but refuses to tell the girls what the sleeping arrangements were. Ron is annoyed that they were followed everywhere by a man who fancied Elsie. Elsie is pleased that he was jealous. Deirdre misses Ray. Emily offers her financial help. Deirdre decides she won't return to the Yard but will have to find another job. Mike discovers the boutique doesn't make much money. He is annoyed at the girls' attitude to work. Steve warns Suzie that Mike is watching her movements. She isn't bothered. Mavis agrees to do the food for the OAP supper. Mike catches Suzie and Gail in the Rovers half an hour before they're meant to close the shop. He tells Steve he's going to close down the boutique.
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Steve Fisher - Lawrence Mullin
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Baldwin's Casuals - Office
- The Kabin
- Viaduct Street
- Western Front
- This episode and episodes 1860 and 1861 were not transmitted by Border Television. A simmering dispute with the ACTT (Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians) union over levels of engineering staff had led to an overtime ban by the union, although other sources state that dispute was over the number of commercials to be transmitted. Whatever the cause, forty engineers were locked out by management from 12.55pm on Sunday 12th November however some enterprising members broke into the premises in Carlisle and staged a sit-in. The dispute continued until Tuesday 21st November when management and union started talks. Although Border made efforts to stage showings of the missed instalments of Edward and Mrs Simpson and Lillie, both major drama serials at the time, they seem to have made no effort to show the missed instalments of serials such as Coronation Street.
- TV Times synopsis: Back from holiday, Elsie Tanner and Ron Mather face reaction from the Rovers' regulars. Meanwhile, Mike Baldwin takes a decision about Gail Potter and Suzie Birchall.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 18,850,000 viewers (1st place).
|November 1978 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|