Albert goes down with flu and spends Christmas in bed. Ron has enough of driving people to parties and throws one himself at No.11. Karen Barnes tells Ken that Dave is out of Risley and thinks she's been having an affair with Ken. Tim Gibbs hears about Ron's party and decides to gatecrash it with mate Brian Tilsley. Gail takes a fancy to Brian. Tim is annoyed that Suzie is not about but makes a play for Deirdre instead. Emily gets drunk on Eddie's homemade wine. Brian gets drunk and asks Gail for a date. She agrees to meet him at the cinema. Tim takes Deirdre home and intends to stay the night. She is amused at his shock finding Ena babysitting. Deirdre gets him to walk Ena home instead. Dave Barnes arrives in the Street and warns Ken off Karen.
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten (Credited as "Chris Quinten")
- Ron Mather - Joe Lynch
- Karen Barnes - Catherine Neilson
- Tim Gibbs - Ray Ashcroft
- Dave Barnes - Russell Dixon (Credited as "Russell Dickson")
- Jack Rowe - William Tarmey
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Hallway and front bedroom
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- First appearance of Brian Tilsley.
- William Tarmey makes a pre-Jack Duckworth appearance as Jack Rowe.
- The Granada Plus repeat of this episode on 31st October 1997 was edited down for timing reasons and omitted the following, all in Part Two: 17" as Bet Lynch asks Ron Mather for a dance at the party, 3" of Dave Barnes and Jack Rowe in the Rovers, 52" of the party immediately prior to the scene of Stan and Hilda Ogden watching television next door and 55" of more party scenes, mainly of Emily Bishop getting drunk.
- TV Times synopsis: A surprise party at Elsie Tanner's - where Gail Potter meets a new boyfriend and Deirdre Langton an old admirer. Meanwhile, Ken Barlow gets a warning from a jealous husband.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,350,000 viewers (8th place).
|December 1978 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Wed 27th|