Rita wants a dishwasher but Len refuses to let her have one as he says they can't afford it. Deirdre tries to sort out her Social Security entitlements. Alf helps her. She finds she can only claim £24.70 a week. She tells Len she'd like to start again at the Yard, part-time. Hilda paints the skirting boards and finds by mistake that she can copy abstract art. Rita is amazed that Len is taking Deirdre back on at the Yard when he has no money. Gail waits outside The Roxy for Brian but he doesn't turn up. Dave Barnes finds Karen at No.1 and rows with her for continuing to have lessons. Ken realises Dave himself can't read and is frightened that Karen will find out. Rita tells Len that she'll walk out if he employs Deirdre.
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- The Roxy - Exterior
- This episode was transmitted at 6.30pm.
- The scenes outside The Roxy cinema were filmed outside Studio 1-5, a cinema complex on Oxford Road in Manchester. The cinema closed on 25th September 1986 and the building is now the venue of The Dancehouse theatre.
- TV Times synopsis: Why are Len and Rita Fairclough at loggerheads over Deirdre Langton? Hilda Ogden puts her artistic talents to use and gets a surprise result…
- This episode failed to make the top twenty in the viewing charts.
|January 1979 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st