Ivy asks Brian not to tell anyone about the engagement until she's had time to come to terms with it. She wants time to think about breaking them up. Eddie names the hens after the Street's residents. Gail doesn't like the idea of keeping the engagement quiet but goes along to keep the peace. Suzie tells her to get things straight with Ivy. Hilda returns home to find a chicken on her table. She is amazed to see the yard full of hens and tells Eddie to get rid of them. Gail and Brian choose an engagement ring from a catalogue. Rita tells Derek he's a louse to give the cutlery to his mother after Mavis risked her job to help him win the prize. He tells Mavis the cutlery is hers but she doesn't want it as it wasn't offered to her in the first place. Hilda is horrified that one of the hens is named after her. Suzie is angry to overhear Ivy putting Gail down in the Rovers and tells her she doesn't think Brian is good enough for Gail. Eddie tells Hilda the hens are going to be slaughtered. She guiltily agrees to let them stay so long as they lay eggs and are profitable. Gail writes to her mum telling her about the engagement. Derek makes Mavis accept the cutlery and she happily promises to cook him a meal to christen it.
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen, hallway and yard
- The Kabin flat
- TV Times synopsis: Hilda's backyard is alive with hens…and Ivy's into the Brian-Gail romance again.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,400,000 viewers (3rd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005.
|April 1979 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|