Gail celebrates her 21st birthday. Elsie returns from holiday and is delighted to hear Gail is engaged. Hilda persuades Fred to let her wash-up behind the bar as Annie and Bet are away, just so she can mingle with the party in the Select. Alf returns from hospital. Renee treats him like an invalid. Gail's floozy mother, Audrey Potter, arrives and gives her approval of Brian however Gail isn't happy to see her. Brian tells Ivy he's letting her down by not going to the party. Suzie fancies the disc jockey Peter Hockley and lures him away from his turn table. Audrey dresses up and is the centre of attention. The men fall over themselves to please her. Bert persuades Ivy to attend the party. She and Audrey are cold towards each other. Fred has to end the Select party as its closing time so Elsie invites everyone round after Bert has announced the engagement. Audrey leads the conga down the Street. Rita is taken aback to see Len eagerly following Audrey.
- Gail Potter - Helen Worth
- Suzie Birchall - Cheryl Murray
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Audrey Potter - Sue Nicholls
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and Select
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Corner Shop - Living quarters
- First appearance of Audrey Potter.
- Audrey describes Gail's father as a gambler, who made promises of marriage that he didn't live up to, and states that they lived with his parents, contradicting later storylines upon his arrival in 2008.
- This Easter Bank Holiday episode was transmitted at 7.00pm.
- Future scriptwriter on the programme, Stephen Mallatratt, appears before the cameras as Peter Hockley, the DJ at Gail's 21st birthday party.
- The episode carries no director credit, either on screen or in any edition of TV Times aside from Channel TV Times.
- TV Times synopsis: Who's coming to Gail and Brian's party tonight? Alf is due home from hospital today…How will he settle?
- This episode failed to make the top twenty in the viewing charts.
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1970-1979, released on 25th July 2005.
|April 1979 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|