Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||24th October 1979 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Previous episode||8th August 1979|
|Next episode||29th October 1979|
Mavis hears mysterious noises in her flat at night. Deirdre reveals Ray has asked for a divorce and wants to cite Ken as co-respondent. Deirdre wants to know who told Ray. Eddie offers to spend the night with Mavis to sort the noises out. She doesn't like the idea but agrees to his staying until bedtime. Alf provides a chair in the shop for customers to sit on. Mavis hears the noises again and begs Eddie to stay the night. Deirdre shows Ray's letter to Ken. She is shocked when he tells her that she's got to keep him out of the divorce.
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley (Uncredited)
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat
- Tracy Langton (Christabel Finch) is credited but doesn't appear.
- The 1979 ITV Strike ended on this day with programmes being resumed across the entire network at 5.45pm. As ten weeks had elapsed since the last episode of Coronation Street had been transmitted, this episode had a pre-credits prologue with Bet Lynch arriving for work outside the Rovers and meeting Len Fairclough. The two then gossip about recent events in the street thus reminding viewers of the stage that the storyline had reached. The scene was filmed on the Grape Street set on 24th October and the filming itself was covered by an ITN news crew.
- TV Times synopsis: Deirdre Langton receives a letter from husband Ray, which contains a nasty shock for her and Ken Barlow. Note: This synopsis appeared in the magazine in August, which went to press before the start of the 1979 ITV strike.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,100,000 viewers (13th place).
|October 1979 episodes|
|Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|