Elsie takes the dress to the cleaners after failing to scrub off the trifle stain. The Rovers is wrecked after the party, upsetting Annie. She feels the guests only came for the free drinks and takes to her bed. Concepta, Val and Len turn up to tidy it all up. At Miami Modes, Mrs Dumbarton searches for the dress having set it aside for the Lady Mayoress. Dot covers for an absent Elsie. The women restore the back room to order while Len does the dishes and starts the cellarwork. Annie thinks Jack did all the work and starts making it up to him but Len gives the game away. Frank worries that Florrie is still mooning over him and asks Alf for advice. Alf advises him to spell it out to her. Elsie nips out to collect the dress. Mrs Dumbarton examines it and notices it's been cleaned but lets Elsie off with a caustic warning. Swindley tries to find out about Edwin Birtles from Florrie but she isn't interested. Ena and Ken realise that Florrie is still after Frank when she puts extra items in his grocery order. Frank tells Florrie he was only after companionship. She lies and says so was she. They part as friends. Alf reveals in the Rovers that his wife met Christine in town looking for digs.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Sheila Birtles - Eileen Mayers
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug, hallway and back room
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Miami Modes - "Better Dress" department
- GPO cafe
- Alf Roberts's wife's name is given as Clara instead of the later-established Phyllis Roberts.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Martha Longhurst (Lynne Carol), Harry Hewitt (Ivan Beavis), Lucille Hewitt (Jennifer Moss) and Miss Nugent (Eileen Derbyshire) are credited but do not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie carries the day and Frank burns his boats
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,274,000 homes (joint 1st place with Episode 194).
|October 1962 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st