Swindley goes canvassing with his agent, Mr. Spinks. Elsie catches him peering through her letterbox after he accidentally puts his canvassing list through. Albert enjoys his lollipop man job and buys sweets for the children. The residents think that Christine has left Colin. Spinks surveys the mission for a public meeting about the election. Ena refuses to clean the establishment for the meeting and lends Spinks her mop and bucket. Spinks finds an old letter he assumes is Ena's and a program for Dennis's concert. Martha takes them to pass onto Ena. Elsie finds her front door open and Christine waiting for her inside. Ena demands Martha hand over her property. Martha gives her the program but doesn't mention the letter. Christine asks Elsie if she can move in with her; she couldn't bear to be alone at No.13. Elsie agrees. Spinks is annoyed at doing the cleaning but Swindley is afraid to stand up to Ena. Elsie tells Ena that Christine is just visiting and kids Swindley that he'll be accused of bribery by serving free food at his meeting. Florrie tells Frank there are no hard feelings. Martha finds out that Christine is staying at No.11. Albert takes an interest in a young girl called Susan, who has a sad face. The residents are shocked when Christine's father-in-law informs them that Colin died in a car accident two weeks ago.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Christine Appleby - Christine Hargreaves
- Coronation Street
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Corner Shop
- Glad Tidings Mission Hall
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Minnie Caldwell (Margot Bryant), Valerie Barlow (Anne Reid), Miss Nugent (Eileen Derbyshire), Sheila Birtles (Eileen Mayers) and Doreen Lostock (Angela Crow) are credited but do not appear.
- First appearance of Christine Appleby since 20th June 1962.
- Stephen Hancock makes a pre-Ernest Bishop appearance as Mr. Spinks.
- The end credits play over an image of Leonard Swindley's campaign poster in the Rovers snug.
- TV Times synopsis: A secret for Martha, mounting excitement for Swindley and sad news for the Street
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,524,000 homes (2nd place).
|October 1962 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st