|ITV transmission date||30th June 1980 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||25th June 1980|
|Next episode||2nd July 1980|
Ken refuses to tell who the mystery man in the "Mr. Wonderful" competition is, although everyone thinks it's him. Renee is desperate to move and wants to view premises. Annie remembers Jack as it's ten years to the day since he died. Deirdre tells Emily she'd be silly to let Arnold go. Emily tells her that she is not marrying Arnold and is annoyed he has asked Deirdre to be on his side. Mavis is horrified that Emily has turned down Arnold's proposal. She thinks it's a miracle that someone has proposed to her. Emily agrees to be Arnold's friend so long as he realises she won't marry him. The Roberts return from Grange-over-Sands and tell Betty that they've found a sub-post office but someone else is interested. The vendors say they'll let them know if the others drop out. The women gather at the Rovers for the raffle draw. Mike is revealed to be the mystery man. Annie performs the draw, Hilda has the winning ticket. Mike isn't pleased.
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Arnold Swain - George Waring
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Hallway, back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- In this episode it is established that Jack Walker is buried in Weatherfield although it was stated in 1970 that his death took place in Derby while staying at his daughter Joan Davies's and additionally inferred by Annie Walker's sudden absence for several weeks that he was also buried there.
- TV Times synopsis: Which lady wins the raffle for a man-for-the-day to do her bidding? And who turns out to be the prize fella? Arnold Swain, the pet shop man, who wants to marry Emily, finally gets his answer…but is it the one he wants?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 14,700,000 viewers (1st place).
Hilda Ogden (to Annie Walker): "He were a real gentleman, were Mr Walker. Always very nice to me. Treated me like a lady, in fact, an' that don't happen often in my life. I mean, if can't remember him today, well, there's not much to be said for me, an' that's a fact."
|June 1980 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|