The Street is closed to traffic and the cobbles dug up. Martha scares Minnie with the idea that the workmen are looking for unexploded bombs. One of the men confirms the rumour that they're laying down telephone cables. Martha holds the Barlows responsible for the disruption. Val discovers Ken told his friends she had a headache. She tells him she'd have been okay with them knowing the truth. Ken is unable to help Albert with Susan as he doesn't teach her. Ena has her photograph of Alfred Sharples reframed. She's puzzled when Martha quizzes her about her marriage problems while Minnie asks her why she doesn't wear a wedding ring. Ena tells them it's none of their business. Emily puts up the Christmas decorations at Gamma Garments. She hopes Swindley will help with the play but is too shy to ask him. Albert runs into Susan at Gamma but the girl breaks down when he questions her about her home life. Val is annoyed when Emily assumes that she and Ken aren't staying in the Street. Albert worries that he got Susan into trouble with her parents by giving her fireworks. Jed fails to interest Swindley in using him as Gamma's supplier. Doreen asks Swindley about the play for Emily. He agrees to consider producing the play but the news that Edwin Birtles is playing the lead doesn't endear him to the idea. Ena threatens to throw Martha into the manhole if she keeps going on about her marriage. The Barlows realise they're being silly and make up. Susan runs away from home to Albert.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Doreen Lostock - Angela Crow
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Christine Appleby - Christine Hargreaves
- Jed Stone - Kenneth Cope
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Jack Walker (Arthur Leslie), Frank Barlow (Frank Pemberton), Sheila Birtles (Eileen Mayers) and Len Fairclough (Peter Adamson) are credited but do not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: The Street's up - but Martha does some digging of her own
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,291,000 homes (1st place).
|November 1962 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|