Hilda calls round to Elsie to borrow a cup of sugar. She finds the sofa ablaze and tries to drag Elsie clear but she has to call for Stan to help. Ken and Deirdre talk to each other at the party for the first time since they split. He tries to be close to her but she isn't interested. Stan and Hilda drag Elsie out of the smoke-filled house. Hilda breaks up Arnold and Emily's party for help. The fire brigade arrive but Ken and Stan have already put the fire out. Elsie is full of smoke but refuses to go to hospital. Dr Crawford advises her to give up smoking. Emily takes her in. Elsie has convulsions when she hears she owes her life to Hilda. Renee shows the Bannisters around the Corner Shop. Hilda is proclaimed a heroine. She makes the most of the situation and over-dramatises the events.
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Martin Cheveski - Jonathan Caplan
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Arnold Swain - George Waring
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Renee Roberts - Madge Hindle
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Flora Swain - Ann Wrigg
- Dr Crawford - Paul Lally
- Mr. Bannister - Alex Johnston
- Mrs. Bannister - Maggie Flint
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back yard
- Corner Shop
- TV Times synopsis: Will Elsie Tanner be rescued from her ordeal by fire? Meanwhile, Alf and Renee Roberts show some would-be buyers around the Corner Shop.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,800,000 viewers (1st place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|July 1980 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|