Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||31st December 1980 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||29th December 1980|
|Next episode||5th January 1981|
Martin buys Karen an engagement ring with his Christmas money. Elsie worries that Karen won't accept him. Martin tells Karen they should do something positive and gives her the ring. He tells her he wants to be engaged. She likes the ring and says she will marry him. Ken buys a Volkswagen but an angry Albert refuses to go in it as it's German. Gail refuses to see New Year in at home so the family go to the Rovers. Karen gives Martin the ring back, telling him they're too young to get engaged. She tells him it would be best if they finished. Gail feels unwell in the Rovers. Martin packs and leaves for Birmingham. Elsie is upset to see him so hurt. He tells her he doesn't like it in the Street anymore. Gail goes into labour, Annie lets the family wait in the living room and calls for an ambulance. Gail and Brian go to hospital, through the Rovers' bar. Elsie sees the New Year in alone and in tears. Brian phones the Rovers and tells Audrey that Gail has had a 7lbs 2oz son. She passes on the news to the delighted regulars, Ivy and Bert who all celebrate.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Martin Cheveski - Jonathan Caplan
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Audrey Potter - Sue Nicholls
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 5 Buxton Close - Living room
- Final appearance of Jonathan Caplan as Martin Cheveski.
- TV Times synopsis: It will soon be farewell to the Old Year. The Street wonders what the new one will bring - or take away.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,500,000 viewers (5th place)
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|December 1980 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|