Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||9th March 1981 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||4th March 1981|
|Next episode||11th March 1981|
Emily tells Arnold to leave her life but he tells her it's not possible. He is upset she reported him to the police. He tells her he has no regrets. Bet is upset when the customers don't show their gratitude in her return. She tells Annie she wants to leave but Annie sorts things out for her. Arnold is obviously mentally disturbed and frightens Emily. He tells her they must be together in the next life as well as this life. Emily threatens to call the police if he doesn't leave her. He physically stops her from leaving the house. He tells her he knows God wants them to die. She tells him she is not prepared to die. Wally Randle takes Elsie on the town. Sonia Price starts Yoga and Beauty classes at the Community Centre. Arnold urges Emily to pray with him before they commit suicide. She begs him to let her go. He demands to see her Bible. She tells him it's in her bedroom. As he goes upstairs she runs out of the house. She finds Len passing outside and hysterically tells him that Arnold is inside. Len checks but Arnold has already left by the back door.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Arnold Swain - George Waring
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Bert Tilsley - Peter Dudley
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Nicholas Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Community Centre - Office
- Mark Eden makes a pre-Alan Bradley appearance as Wally Randle.
- TV Times synopsis: Desperate hours in the Street. Emily Bishop's bigamous "husband" Arnold Swain returns without warning and - unknown to her neighbours - holds terrified Emily hostage. Ken Barlow signs up recruits for a beauty and grooming course at the Community Centre.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 17,350,000 viewers (3rd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|March 1981 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|