Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||27th July 1981 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||22nd July 1981|
|Next episode||29th July 1981|
Deirdre takes off her glasses for the wedding. Mike is upset that Deirdre is marrying Ken. Blanche, Stan, Hilda, Elsie, Annie, Rita, Albert and Mavis attend All Saints Church to see Ken and Deirdre marry. Alf gives Deirdre away, Len is best man, Emily is Matron of Honour, Tracy and Susan are bridesmaids. Eunice's friend Ronnie gets Fred a labouring job. Annie lays on a wedding spread in the Select. Deirdre is touched when Ray Langton sends a telegram wishing her luck. Frank Pritchard rings Annie and says he's found another job. She is furious. The Barlows leave for honeymoon in Corfu.
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Deirdre Langton - Anne Kirkbride
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Tracy Langton - Christabel Finch
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Eunice Gee - Meg Johnson
- Susan Barlow - Suzy Paterson
- Vicar - Frank Topping
- Photographer - Stewart Howson
- Organist - Vivienne Wilde
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and Select
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- All Saints Church - Exterior and interior
- TV Times synopsis: You are invited to the wedding of Ken Barlow and Deirdre Langton - followed by a reception in the Rovers Select…
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,350,000 viewers (1st place - an ongoing myth is that more viewers watched this episode of the programme than tuned into the real-life Royal Wedding two days later of Prince Charles to Lady Diana Spencer. This story came about because the official television figures were for the average number of viewers throughout the duration of the state occasion. The wedding figures for the three channels' multi-hour coverage was 13,700,000 for BBC1, putting them in 3rd place, and 8,000,000 for ITV but the actual ceremony itself attracted 19,000,000 for BBC1, 9,000,000 for ITV and 400,000 on BBC2, which carried subtitles for the hard of hearing. In second place for the week was coverage of the Royal Fireworks on BBC1 on 28th July which garnered 15,100,000 viewers).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|July 1981 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|