|ITV transmission date||24th May 1982 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Previous episode||19th May 1982|
|Next episode||26th May 1982|
The Ogdens' have £56 towards a new suite. Eddie offers to get them a new suite from a junk shop but Hilda wants one from a store. Mike discovers that his Wages Clerk has overpaid the machinists and is furious. He tells the girls that he'll be stopping the money from their wages. Hilda and Stan go to a store and decide to buy a £299 suite on easy terms. Mike asks Emily to work at the factory as his new wages clerk. She is delighted to accept. Hilda is horrified when they are refused Hire Purchase at the store as neither of them have a bank account and Stan won't divulge information about his earnings. Emily is pleased when Mike says that she doesn't have to work in Ernie's old office. Mike is flattered by Maggie Dunlop's attention as she's got style.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Ida Clough - Helene Palmer
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Marion Willis - Veronica Doran
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Kathy Barrett - Cheryl Prime (Credited as "Kathy Barratt")
- Maggie Dunlop - Jill Kerman
- Donald Worthington - Brian Capron
- Furniture Salesman - Roger Phillips
- Wages Clerk - Jo Beadle
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Baldwin's Casuals - Sewing room and office
- The Kabin
- Furniture store
- Brian Capron makes one of several appearances as Donald Worthington, several years before appearing in his better-known role of Richard Hillman.
- The scenes at the furniture store were filmed at the Salford City Shopping Centre and were directed by Matthew Robinson on 26th April 1982. See Matthew Robinson's user blog for further details.
- TV Times synopsis: Hilda and Stan Ogden are humiliated when they go to buy a suite of furniture. Mike Baldwin offers Emily Bishop - of all people - a job. What is it, and will she accept?
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 14,900,000 viewers (1st place).
|May 1982 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|