The Tilsleys wait up all night waiting for Bert. Ivy blames herself for leaving him on his own. The Duckworths' landlord wants to knock their house at 20 Inkerman Street down to build flats. He offers them £1,000 to vacate. They ask Alf to find a council house for them but Alf refuses to get involved. Chalkie gives his job up and takes early retirement. Phyllis is stunned when he tells her that he hopes to stay in Australia for six months. The Tilsleys refuse to tell anyone that Bert is missing. Ivy fears he'll never return as Bert has taken his favourite photograph and their holiday money with him. Kitty Earnshaw tells Hilda that she's her only friend. She tells her that her husband drinks and is hateful. She asks Hilda to tell her the secret of her happy marriage. When PC Maskall calls at No.5 for a photograph of Bert, Ivy worries about what the neighbours will say. Jack wants to spend the £1,000 on a new car now that the tax people are after him and he has to do the taxis full-time but Vera wants to use the money as a house deposit. She arranges for them to view No.9 even though their son, Terry, isn't impressed with the Street. Hilda tries to give Mrs Earnshaw marriage guidance. She also gives her £5 to buy some food for her husband.
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Eddie Yeats - Geoffrey Hughes
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Nicholas Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Chalkie Whitely - Teddy Turner
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Living room
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- First appearance of Terry Duckworth.
- TV Times synopsis: Why are the police visiting the street? Chalkie Whitely receives an offer for his house from a surprising source.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,300,000 viewers (1st place).
|August 1983 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st