|ITV transmission date||22nd August 1983 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Peter Tonkinson|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Previous episode||17th August 1983|
|Next episode||24th August 1983|
Percy Sugden takes over as caretaker at the Community Centre. Vera talks Jack into buying No.9 for £10,000, getting a £9,000 mortgage. Jack plans to race the pigeons that Chalkie has left. Bet kids Percy that Emily is Elsie Tanner. He upsets Emily by telling her that he won't be climbing into her bed at night. Ken calls a meeting with his fellow Development officers, telling them that he leaked the document. He expects them to stand behind him. Percy rows with Alf for parking his car outside the Community Centre before discovering that he's a Councillor and his boss. Bert is moved to a psychiatric hospital in Southport. Ken's colleagues tell him they'll back him but if he's sacked, they won't threaten to resign.
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Nicholas Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Yard
- Corner Shop
- Tilsley's Garage
- First appearance of Percy Sugden.
- TV Times synopsis: Ken Barlow faces the fact that his fellow community development officers are deserting him. Vera and Jack Duckworth plan to move house.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,202,000 viewers (1st place).
|August 1983 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|