|ITV transmission date||4th January 1984 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Esther Rose|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Previous episode||2nd January 1984|
|Next episode||9th January 1984|
Elsie is stunned when Bill Gregory returns and tells her he wants her to come to Portugal with him. Curly wants to thump Terry for hijacking Sharon. Terry tells him he doesn't fancy her and advises him to build a few muscles to impress her. Bill tells Elsie he doesn't want to be lonely any more - he's been lonely for her for years. She doesn't think she can give everything up on a whim. The Ogdens move Stan's bed into the sitting room. The police warn Fred that his tyres are bald. Sharon gets Curly to carry her bags to the station, telling him she's returning to Sheffield. Elsie decides she's wasted enough of her life and she should grasp her opportunity to escape. Bill is delighted when she phones his hotel to say she's on her way to him in London. Elsie packs. She takes her photographs of Linda and Dennis and, posting her keys at the Barlows' house and remembering old times, leaves the Street for ever.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Sharon Gaskell - Tracie Bennett
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Unnamed hotel, London - Guest bedroom
- Final appearance of Patricia Phoenix as Elsie Tanner.
- Final appearance of Jack Watson as Bill Gregory.
- Last appearance of Sharon Gaskell until 15th January 1999.
- TV Times synopsis: Elsie Tanner receives a proposition - and makes a decision about her future. Stan Ogden is in bed downstairs, and wife Hilda tries to get compensation for his foot injury.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,796,000 viewers (2nd place).
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|January 1984 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|