Stan receives his £200 compensation. Ken constructs a good food guide from the local pubs for the Weatherfield Recorder. Rita realises that she's at the wholesaler's mercy without a car. Stan wants to hang onto the £200 but Hilda puts it in the bank. Fred decides to lay on hot lunches to impress Ken into writing the Rovers up in his good food guide. Rita looks over a Cortina which Mr Heslop is selling. Fred tests all the pies on sale at the Rovers. Rita thinks £1,900 is too much for the Cortina. Mr Heslop tells her that he needs the money for his wife's operation. Fred orders pies from Cowards'. Betty warns him that they're third-rate pies. He needs to use cheaper pies as he wants to include peas. Brian sees Heslop trying to sell Rita the car and recognises him as a crooked dealer. He warns Rita that he's bent but Rita's already paid half of the money.
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and hallway
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- The Kabin
- TV Times synopsis: Rita Fairclough's plans to buy a car go awry. Fred Gee aims to improve catering at the Rovers - and line his own pocket.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 14,843,000 viewers (1st place).
|February 1984 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|