Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||25th July 1984 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Tom Elliott|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Previous episode||23rd July 1984|
|Next episode||30th July 1984|
Alf gets the shopping plaza stopped. Rita tells him that she's grateful as she feared the competition. Billy asks friend Colin Harvey for a loan but doesn't get anywhere. Mike takes delivery of a computer system. Ivy thought he had been joking and is shocked by the machines. Shirley suggests they strike until Mike explains what is going on. Sally Waterman is told by some Councillors that Alf stopped the plaza because of his and Rita's businesses being affected. Betty advises Billy to talk to Annie about his money problems. He decides to visit her to talk it over, telling Betty that she has to stay overnight in the Rovers. Betty doesn't like the idea. Vera and Shirley want to take action over the computers taking their jobs but Ivy isn't sure until she knows what Mike is up to. Ivy tackles Mike only to find that he has taken in a personal computer to play games on; the boxes were empty. He tells the girls that he kidded them on to teach them a lesson. Sally writes a piece, shaming Alf. Ken thinks that it's a brilliant piece but daren't print it as Alf could sue as it accuses him of putting his own interests before his constituents. Ken knows that the piece is true as Alf confided as much to Deirdre.
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Ida Clough - Helene Palmer
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Shirley Armitage - Lisa Lewis
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug and hallway
- Corner Shop
- Baldwin's Casuals - Sewing room, office and corridor
- Weatherfield Recorder - Office
- Last appearance of Shirley Armitage until 29th October 1984.
- Last appearance of Ida Clough until 29th October 1984.
- TV Times synopsis: Boss Mike Baldwin has the last laugh when the factory girls march on his office in protest at his computerisation plan. Alf Roberts' success wins him the gratitude of Rita Fairclough, but makes him enemies elsewhere.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 12,485,000 viewers (2nd place).
|July 1984 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|