Sally is annoyed that Ken has kept her article out of the paper. He cuts her piece down to two paragraphs. Derek returns to the area, having decided that he'd like to see Mavis again. Betty doesn't want to spend another night alone at the Rovers. Ken tells Sally that he appreciates her talent but he has to protect the newspaper from libel cases. She accuses him of being too worried about upsetting Alf. Sally phones the Gazette and tells them about Alf stopping the plaza because of his feelings for Rita. Deirdre finds out and tells Ken he should fire Sally for going behind his back. Percy offers to guard the Rovers for Betty at night. She agrees. Mavis doesn't want to see Derek again; he'll only ruin her life again. Derek waits for her in the Rovers hoping she'll call in but she doesn't. Percy spends the night on the sofa in the Rovers' living room. Betty hears someone in the bar and gets Percy to investigate. Percy panics so Betty investigates. She finds someone has pulled a pint and left it on the bar.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- First appearance of Derek Wilton since 14th April 1982.
- TV Times synopsis: Betty Turpin has to stay another night at the Rovers, and Percy Sugden volunteers to stand guard. All goes well until an intruder threatens midnight menace in the bar. Confused Mavis Riley must decide whether to keep an assignation with an ex-boyfriend.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 12,772,000 viewers (1st place).
|July 1984 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|