Debbie accuses Bill of sexual discrimination as he let Kevin leave school. Bill maintains that she must return. Hilda offers to sell Stan's window round to Fred for £150. Fred laughs in her face. Bill insists that the family have meals together and upsets Kevin by dragging him out of the Rovers. Mavis admits to Rita that she's frightened of marriage. Debbie tells Bill that he can't expect her to run a house and gets CSE's as well. Mavis decides to turn Derek down as she isn't sure that she loves him. Billy gives Fred the afternoon off to look for work and discovers he's gone to the races. Bill feels guilty about the way he has heaped burdens on Debbie. He agrees to her leaving school on the condition that she finds a job before term starts. Billy tells Fred he's not letting him skive off and he has until the end of the week to get out. Fred tells Billy that he is entitled to severance pay if he's sacked. Billy refuses to pay him compensation so Fred refuses to leave. Mavis can't bring herself to turn Derek down. He declares he loves her so she lets him believe she will marry him.
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Debbie Webster - Sue Devaney
- Bill Webster - Peter Armitage
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Fred Gee - Fred Feast
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- TV Times synopsis: Billy agrees to give Fred the day off to look for work.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 11,560,000 viewers (2nd place).
|August 1984 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|