|ITV transmission date||29th August 1984 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Tom Elliott|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Previous episode||27th August 1984|
|Next episode||3rd September 1984|
Jack discovers that Phyllis's neighbour has found a budgie. Debbie tells Bill that she loves Dazz Isherwood and won't give him up. When he hears Percy has upped the reward to ten pounds, Jack gets the budgie off Phyllis's friend and returns it to Percy. He is stunned when Percy tells him it's not Randy; he's just returned home. Derek introduces Mavis to his sister Edith Wilton. Edith tells Mavis all about Derek's weak chest. The residents gather at Mavis's flat for the engagement party. Victor calls at The Kabin, when he hears the engagement party is in progress he gatecrashes. Mavis watches nervously as Derek chats to Victor. He tells Derek about his camping holiday with Mavis. Derek is amazed.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Bill Webster - Peter Armitage
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Debbie Webster - Sue Devaney
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- Jim's Cafe
- Transmission of this episode was delayed by four minutes to allow for a short tribute to Bernard Youens who had died two days previously. This insert gained 9,584,000 viewers and was placed nineteenth in the national charts.
- TV Times synopsis: Bill Webster's attempts to discipline daughter Debbie cause him to have harsh words with well-meaning Gail Tilsley. It's the night of Mavis Riley's engagement party - and Derek Wilton comes face to face with his rival, Victor Pendlebury.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 10,972,000 viewers (8th place).
|August 1984 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|