Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||31st December 1984 (Monday)|
|Stories by|| Tom Elliott|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Previous episode||26th December 1984|
|Next episode||2nd January 1985|
Bet prepares for her interview with Sarah Ridley but feels she really hasn't got a chance. Nicky celebrates his fourth birthday. Elaine returns from Southampton. Bill is delighted to see her. Gordon Lewis and Bet go to the brewery to be interviewed by Sarah. Bet tells Sarah that she knows she can do the job. She says she was happy being a barmaid under Annie Walker but she knows that she can do the job as well as any of the male managers. She has no experience of accounts but is willing to learn. She tells Sarah she wouldn't change the Rovers' image; the customers like it the way it is. She is surprised when Sarah shows her the regulars' petition. Gordon tries to impress Sarah with his ideas about transforming the Rovers by having a main entrance on Rosamund Street to turn it into a main road pub. Sarah is interested in his plans. Kevin accuses Bill of being under Elaine's thumb. Elaine is upset that Kevin isn't coming to Southampton. Hilda contemplates taking in a lodger.
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Debbie Webster - Sue Devaney
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Bill Webster - Peter Armitage
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Nicky Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Gordon Lewis - David Daker
- Elaine Prior - Judy Gridley
- Sarah Ridley - Carole Nimmons
- Secretary - Gillian Kerrod
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and back room
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- Newton & Ridley - Reception and Sarah Ridley's office
- TV Times synopsis: The locals look back on the old year and prepare to ring in the new. Bet Lynch hopes her feminine charm will put her one step ahead in the race for the Rovers' management - but it doesn't quite work out that way.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,050,000 viewers (5th place).
Bet Lynch: "I was pulling pints before I was legally old enough to sup 'em. And I've been doing it ever since. I have given myself body and soul to the public house trade. There's not a lot I don't know about pubs. And there's not much I don't know about customers either."
Bet Lynch: "Me behind a bar, I'm in me element. I'm like Santa Claus in his grotto."
|December 1984 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|