|ITV transmission date||18th June 1986 (Wednesday)|
|Story associates|| Tom Elliott|
|Designer|| Eric Deakins|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Producer||John G. Temple|
|Previous episode||16th June 1986|
|Next episode||23rd June 1986|
Kevin and Sally return at 5.30am from Sheffield. They spot smoke coming out of the Rovers' door. Sally wakes the residents whilst Kevin tries to wake Bet. Ken phones the fire brigade. Percy is raised and he and Kevin get a ladder up to Bet's window. Bet wakes up and tries to escape but the fumes force her back to her room. She vomits and collapses. The residents move their cars and try to wake Bet. Kevin climbs up the ladder and smashes Bet's window. He climbs in as the fire engine arrives and the front windows explode. Kevin tries to drag Bet to the window, the firemen take over and carry Bet to safety. Kevin is proclaimed a hero and refuses to go to hospital; he's only inhaled some fumes. Bet is taken to hospital in an ambulance. Jack is worried that he might have caused the fire by putting the wrong fuse in. Gail feels she should tell Brian about her affair. Audrey advises her to leave it. The brewery tells Betty that they intend to pull the Rovers down.
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Gloria Todd - Sue Jenkins
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Lynch - Julie Goodyear
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Sally Seddon - Sally Whittaker
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Alan Bradley - Mark Eden
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Susan Baldwin - Wendy Jane Walker
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Nicky Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Tracy Barlow - Holly Chamarette
- Police Constable - Stephen Crane
- Police Sergeant - John Pickles
- Fire Chief - Matthew Scurfield
- Fireman - Andrew Davey
- Ambulance Man - Roy Duval
- Ambulance Woman - Betsy Clewlow
- Coronation Street exterior - Main Street view, Ginnel, Yards
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, Cellar, Private Landing, Front bedroom
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- Jim's Cafe
- This well-publicised episode had a unique title sequence showing a photocaption montage of the dawn sky over tower blocks and towards a set of cooling towers (in reality, those of Agecroft Power Station, north of Salford which were demolished on 8th May 1994).
- This episode was transmitted at 6.15pm to allow for World Cup coverage.
- The episode was given an unscheduled repeat on Thursday 19th June: 9.00pm for the Granada region and others and 10.30pm for Thames Television in London.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 22,750,000 viewers (1st place). This was the highest-rated episode of the year although it was calculated by BARB by combining the original transmission with that of the Thursday repeat - a practise that had enabled EastEnders to claim the number one position for most of the year and which had been a repeated complaint by Granada who knew that Coronation Street still had higher ratings than the BBC1 soap for first transmission of their respective episodes.
- This episode has its location scenes shot on videotape. At the time, the show was still routinely using 16mm film for location work, which was reverted to after this episode and remained until the full-time switch to video in Episode 2807 (22nd February 1988).
This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
- Coronation Street 1986 released by Granada and Windsong Video on 5th November 1990.
- The 1986 disc of the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The 1980s, released on 31st October 2005.
- The Golden Anniversary DVD Collection, released by ITV Home Entertainment on 11th October 2010.
|June 1986 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|