Elsie thinks Christine is going to be sacked but Dennis thinks it'll be her as she's older. Harry grows depressed on the dole. He feels he's only fit to drive buses. Frank thinks Ken is unwise seeing Marian Lund again but Ken stresses the point that she's now married. Minnie gives Harry an advert for a warehouse and traffic manager job. He's not interested but takes the cutting anyway. Elsie decides to resign before she's sacked. Val has to back out of seeing Marian when Ena reminds her that she made a hair appointment which she didn't note down. Miss Read tells Elsie she can stay in the department as she has more experience than Christine. Annie goes down with the summer chill. Florrie tells Len that Elliston's Raincoat Factory has to close for two weeks as they have no orders, and Sheila has gone to Bridlington with her parents. Harry borrows £20 from Len. Christine is put in charge of children's wear. She makes up with Elsie before she leaves. Marian's husband has food poisoning and, to Val's horror, Ken decides to see Marian on his own. Harry refuses to let Concepta go back to work at the Rovers. She tells him she has saved £46 in her post office book. Ken goes out with Marian.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Christine Appleby - Christine Hargreaves
- Dot Greenhalgh - Joan Francis
- Counter Clerk - Leslie Twelvetrees
- Secretary - Louise Jervis
- Miss Read - Nancie Jackson
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 7 Coronation Street - Back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Front room and hallway
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- Miami Modes - "Better dress" department and Miss Read's office
- Labour Exchange
- Final appearance of Christine Hargreaves as Christine Appleby.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Martha Longhurst (Lynne Carol), Lucille Hewitt (Jennifer Moss), Miss Nugent (Eileen Derbyshire), Doreen Lostock (Angela Crow) and Sheila Birtles (Eileen Mayers).
- TV Times synopsis: Ena insists on her rights and causes trouble
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,482,000 homes (2nd place).
|July 1963 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st