|ITV transmission date||5th August 1987 (Wednesday)|
|Story associates|| Tom Elliott|
|Executive Producer||Bill Podmore|
|Producer||John G. Temple|
|Previous episode||3rd August 1987|
|Next episode||10th August 1987|
Ken refuses to let Susan stay at No.1 as it won't help her marriage. He tells her she must stand for herself. Susan returns to Mike. Mike is surprised but grateful that Ken threw her out. Alan gets Rita to the register office. She is stunned to find the Roberts and Mavis there. Alan announces it's her wedding. Rather than agree, she is furious and accuses him of taking her for granted. She goes home. Mavis can't believe Rita turned Alan down and fears people will think she influenced her. Jenny is upset as Rita verbally attacks Alan, telling him he's childish and stupid. He maintains all he wanted was for her to be his wife. She tells him it's obvious he doesn't know her at all. Mike tells Susan she shouldn't fight her natural instincts and have children. She tells him she hasn't returned in order to become pregnant. Alan tells Rita he now knows she'll never marry him and must hate the idea of being married to him. Martin and Jenny arrange a date. Shirley chats Curly up at the Websters' party. He arranges to take her out. Alf gets merry at the party and spills red wine over one of Sally's chairs. Mike tells Susan they're not going to have a happy marriage until they have children. He tells her they'll have to finish if she doesn't agree.
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Susan Baldwin - Wendy Jane Walker
- Alan Bradley - Mark Eden
- Jenny Bradley - Sally Ann Matthews
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Shirley Armitage - Lisa Lewis
- Coronation Street exterior
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 7 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 11 Coronation Street - Yard
- Corner Shop
- 15a Coronation Street - Living room/kitchen
- 46b, St. Mary's Place - Living room and kitchen
- Weatherfield Register Office - Exterior
- Last appearance of Shirley Armitage until 28th December 1987.
- With this episode, William Roache became the most prolific actor in Coronation Street, passing Peter Adamson's total of 1,770 appearances as Len Fairclough.
- TV Times synopsis: It's one of the biggest days in Rita Fairclough's life - and she doesn't know it!
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 14,150,000 viewers (3rd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|August 1987 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|