Lowther breaks down when the Consultant tells him that Joan has died. Mavis hardly sleeps knowing Derek is only the other side of the door. He tells her that he has to face Angela like a man and not rely on notes. Hilda regains consciousness. Derek returns home to find Angela hasn't read the note. He has second thoughts and decides it would be stupid to leave - he has too much to lose work-wise. He tells Mavis that he's returning to Angela. Mavis is devastated. Kevin is forced to break the news to Hilda that Joan Lowther is dead. Hilda is heartbroken.
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Ivy Tilsley - Lynne Perrie
- Bet Gilroy - Julie Goodyear
- Gloria Todd - Sue Jenkins
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Alan Bradley - Mark Eden
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Dr Lowther - David Scase
- Amy Burton - Fanny Carby
- Casualty Nurse - Christine Moore
- Hospital Consultant - John Arthur
- Policewoman - Caroline Clegg
- Staff Nurse - Linda Jane Holmes
- Paperboy - Julian Walsh
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and hallway
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat - Bedroom and living room/kitchen
- Weatherfield General - Consultant's office, waiting room, corridor and Intensive Care Unit
- Mrs Lowther (June Broughton) and Alf Roberts (Bryan Mosley) are credited but do not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: The hospital staff have to break the bad news.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 16,750,000 viewers (5th place).
Bet Gilroy (on Hilda Ogden's condition): "...And they say they're pretty sure there's no brain damage."
Ken Barlow: "That's a relief."
Vera Duckworth: "See Hilda Ogden with brain damage? Ha! She's bad enough already!"
Ivy Tilsley (scandalised): "Vera!"
|November 1987 episodes|
|Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Mon 16th • Wed 18th • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Mon 30th|