|ITV transmission date||9th March 1988 (Wednesday)|
|Story associates|| Tom Elliott|
|Previous episode||7th March 1988|
|Next episode||14th March 1988|
Vera begins to worry that Jack is right and Amy has been stealing. Ken is annoyed that Nick Cavanagh has asked Janet Bamford to work full-time. Jack convinces Vera he is concerned about Amy's thieving as he's in charge of stock and Alec will think he's the thief. She tackles Amy who accuses her of turning against her and threatens to leave. Nick makes Ken see they need someone full-time in the office. Janet can't work it so they tell her she will have to leave. Amy tells Vera that Jack's a rotten husband and should be thrown out. Vera becomes angry, telling her that Jack doesn't want to lose his job. Amy is shocked when Vera calls her bluff and tells her to leave, as she's missed her last bus Vera drives her and her bags to her sister Edie's. Bet returns from hospital, putting a brave face on things. Alone with Alec she breaks down, telling Alec she wanted the baby so much. They mourn together. Jack is ecstatic that Amy has left. Vera is amused to find Amy has stolen her carriage clock and taken it with her. Ken is astounded when Nick's daughter Fiona Cavanagh moves into the office as his assistant. Ken feels she'll spy on him.
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Bet Gilroy - Julie Goodyear
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Gloria Todd - Sue Jenkins
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Shirley Armitage - Lisa Lewis
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Amy Burton - Fanny Carby
- Janet Bamford - Hope Johnstone
- Nick Cavanagh - George Irving
- Fiona Cavanagh - Sharon Muircroft
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and yard
- 13 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Weatherfield Recorder - Office
- Rita Fairclough (Barbara Knox) is credited but doesn't appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Jack Duckworth could well lose his job at the Rovers if Vera doesn't sort her mother out once and for all. And Bet and Alec have a lot of rethinking to do when Bet gets home from hospital.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,950,000 viewers (4th place).
|March 1988 episodes|
|Wed 2nd • Mon 7th • Wed 9th • Mon 14th • Wed 16th • Mon 21st • Wed 23rd • Mon 28th • Wed 30th|