|ITV transmission date||5th September 1988 (Monday)|
|Story associates|| Tom Elliott|
|Previous episode||31st August 1988|
|Next episode||7th September 1988|
Don annoys Brian by suggesting he did a bad job repairing his car when it breaks down again. Mavis is horrified to receive a letter from Derek saying she hasn't got the job. She feels humiliated. Terry needs money and is forced to sell his gold watch to Alec for £50. Don is introduced to Terry by Ivy in the Rovers and grabs him, demanding his taxi fare. Terry swears he doesn't know what's going on. Derek calls on Mavis but she refuses to see him. He calls through the letterbox that the job wasn't for her. He tells her he loves her and proposes marriage. She is stunned.
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Don Brennan - Geoff Hinsliff
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Kevin Webster - Michael Le Vell
- Brian Tilsley - Christopher Quinten
- Sally Webster - Sally Whittaker
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Shirley Armitage - Lisa Lewis
- Ivy Brennan - Lynne Perrie
- Gloria Todd - Sue Jenkins
- Bet Gilroy - Julie Goodyear
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Alan Bradley - Mark Eden
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 5 Coronation Street - Yard
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- Tilsley's Garage
- In scenes in The Kabin, a copy of The Magic of Coronation Street is visible in the video library behind the counter.
- TV Times synopsis: Mavis goes into hiding in fear of public humiliation, but it seems that Fate has something else in store for her. Life in the taxi-business is not ticking over too smoothly for Don, and he's in danger of causing family strife.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 13,800,000 viewers (3rd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005.
|September 1988 episodes|
|Mon 5th • Wed 7th • Mon 12th • Wed 14th • Mon 19th • Wed 21st • Mon 26th • Wed 28th|