Jenny begs Rita to forget all that she said. She tells her she wants to keep them all together as a family. Rita promises she won't throw Alan out so Jenny tells her that Alan's been seeing a woman in Oakwood Road. Rita goes through Alan's files at the office and finds out who lives at that address. Gina has enough of Phyllis getting at her and accuses her of hating her. Gina tells her she's going to tell Gail they can't work together. Rita drives down Oakwood Road and sees Alan's car parked outside Carole Burns' house. Audrey tells Phyllis that faced with a choice, Gail will keep Gina on. Phyllis tries to make up with Gina and begs her not to talk to Gail. She promises things will be better. Gina agrees to keep quiet. Vera gets the cash out of the Building Society. Jack is horrified when she only brings £30 home and gives him £15, telling him she's spent the rest on a bed, microwave and washing machine. Jack goes into shock. Alan guesses that Rita knows about his affair. He admits it to Rita, saying he's been seeing her for some time. He tells Rita she's physically cold and never shows him affection. She refuses to feel guilty. He tells her his affair happened because he wasn't committed to her - she wouldn't let him. He blames her for not marrying him and tells her he'll move out immediately.
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Jenny Bradley - Sally Ann Matthews
- Alan Bradley - Mark Eden
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Terry Duckworth - Nigel Pivaro
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Mavis Riley - Thelma Barlow
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 7 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen and hallway
- Builder's Yard
- Jim's Cafe
- Streets in Weatherfield including Oakwood Road
- Emily Bishop (Eileen Derbyshire) and Alf Roberts (Bryan Mosley) are credited but don't appear.
- TV Times synopsis: Frustrated in her attempts to extract the truth from those in the know, Rita sets out to make her own private investigation. And Vera Duckworth has left the building society in decisive mood, only to leave Jack reeling in shock.
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 15,500,000 viewers (6th place).
|October 1988 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Mon 31st|