|ITV transmission date||8th May 1989 (Monday)|
|Story associates|| Tom Elliott|
|Executive Producer||David Liddiment|
|Previous episode||3rd May 1989|
|Next episode||10th May 1989|
Vera makes a fuss of Curly. Mavis tells Derek she knows he's lost his job. He promises her everything will be alright. Ivy tells Alma she thinks Gail should leave the cafe to look after Nicky. Bet gets herself a solicitor. Alec is horrified as he thought she'd admit to adultery and beg forgiveness. Derek looks for a job. Jack agrees to let Curly stay for £10 a week. Rita persuades Mavis to stay on at The Kabin as she's the only breadwinner now. Colin Dearing, the solicitor, advises Bet to stay on at the Rovers. She wants to divorce Alec on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour and his relationship with Megan Morgan and her twelve budgies. Derek is determined to go ahead with buying the semi. He accuses Rita of panicking Mavis and tells her Mavis will be leaving The Kabin. As his counter-attack Alec tells Bet she's not dependable so she's fired from the Rovers.
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Bet Gilroy - Julie Goodyear
- Tina Fowler - Michelle Holmes
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Nicky Tilsley - Warren Jackson
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Sarah Louise Tilsley - Lynsay King
- Curly Watts - Kevin Kennedy
- Alma Sedgewick - Amanda Barrie
- Ivy Brennan - Lynne Perrie
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Phyllis Pearce - Jill Summers
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public, back room and hallway
- 9 Coronation Street - Back room/kitchen
- The Kabin
- The Kabin flat - Living room/kitchen
- Colin Dearing's office
- Red Rec
- Eric Potts makes a pre-Diggory Compton appearance as Colin Dearing.
- TV Times synopsis: Jack is rueing the day Vera offered Curly a place in the Duckworths' nest. Derek is still trying to convince Mavis that he's oiling the wheels of commerce, but his behaviour is beginning to give Mavis considerable cause for concern.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 17,440,000 viewers (5th place - combined figure including repeat).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1980-1989, released on 31st October 2005. The version included was that which aired on Granada Plus satellite channel in 2001, which was shorter than the original version by several minutes.
|May 1989 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st|