Des starts work on the boat. Andy and Steve lend a hand before school. Don has enough of Ivy complaining about the way Audrey treats Alf and warns her she'll lose another job if she doesn't learn to keep her mouth shut. Mike gives Deirdre a call and arranges an informal meeting after seeing her application. Mavis is taken aback when the parsnips start working. She and Derek spend the morning making love and are an hour late for work. Alf decides that he will open the shop evenings and works out a rota. Audrey demands to be left out but Alf reminds her that he's the boss. Don is surprised when Ivy tells him she'll be working nights and that it was her idea. Deirdre meets Mike at The Ship, by the canal. She insists she wants a real job, not a handout. He's glad that she came to him after her ex-Council colleagues let her down. Bet is sickened by the sight of a loved up Derek and Mavis. Rita lets her in on their secret. Steve has a great time helping Des and goes back after school. He tells Steph that he knows he's not going to pass his re-sits. Derek confesses to Mavis that he slapped the cleaner Mrs Shaw's bottom at work.
- Andy McDonald - Nicholas Cochrane
- Steve McDonald - Simon Gregson
- Des Barnes - Philip Middlemiss
- Ivy Brennan - Lynne Perrie
- Don Brennan - Geoff Hinsliff
- Deirdre Barlow - Anne Kirkbride
- Tracy Barlow - Dawn Acton
- Rita Fairclough - Barbara Knox
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Bet Gilroy - Julie Goodyear
- Betty Turpin - Betty Driver
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Stephanie Barnes - Amelia Bullmore
- Gail Tilsley - Helen Worth
- Jim McDonald - Charles Lawson
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- 4 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 6 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms and back garden
- Corner Shop - Shop and stockroom
- The Kabin
- The Ship
- Scenes at The Ship were recorded at The Mark Addy in Stanley Street, Salford, on the banks of the River Irwell.
- TV Times synopsis: Has Mavis overdone the parsnips? Steve finds someone to listen to his tales of woe.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 12,899,000 viewers (2nd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1990-1999, released on 5th September 2011.
|May 1991 episodes|
|Wed 1st • Fri 3rd • Mon 6th • Wed 8th • Fri 10th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Fri 17th
Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Fri 24th • Mon 27th • Wed 29th • Fri 31st