Dennis can't sleep during days after his night-shift work at Amalgamated Steel. Walter sends him a letter from the south of France telling how well he's doing. Dennis worries that he'll be fired if he's late for work again. The club is granted a licence, depressing Swindley and causing Ena to tell him he's useless. He tells Emily he's not giving up. Ken tells Dave he's not been given the job of head of department because of the television interview. He dreads telling Val. Dennis goes to work thinking he's on time but the clock in No. 11 has stopped and he's half an hour late. Foreman Mick comes down heavy on him. The others ostracise him. Joyce Lennox joins Len for a drink in the Rovers. Laurie tries to buy Swindley a drink but he refuses. Swindley tries to drum up interest in a public meeting of protest, saying that Alderman Langton will be there but no one is interested. Val is short with Ken over the failed promotion. Dennis sends a load to Glasgow which should have gone to Leeds. He nervously starts to explain the error to Mick...
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Valerie Barlow - Anne Reid
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Mr Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- David Robbins - Jon Rollason
- Laurie Frazer - Stanley Meadows
- Mick O'Connell - Reginald Jessup
- Ronnie - Neville Barber
- Lionel - Kenneth Colley
- Joyce - Yvonne Walsh
- Lorry Driver - George Ghent (Uncredited)
- Rovers Return Inn - Public/Snug
- 9 Coronation Street - Bedroom
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room
- Gamma Garments - Shop and stock room
- Dave Robbins's flat
- Amalgamated Steel - Loading bay and yard
- Although time has been called for the night in the Rovers and Ken and Val are preparing for bed, the clock in their bedroom shows the time as 7.30.
- Although the scenes in Amalgamated Steel's loading bay were studio recorded, the yard scenes were on 16mm film and on location, albeit silent and overdubbed with appropriate sound effects.
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode Florrie Lindley (Betty Alberge) was credited but did not appear.
- TV Times synopsis: The campaign against Frazer's club continues, Dennis runs into trouble, and danger ahead for Valerie and Kenneth
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 8,717,000 homes (4th place).
|February 1964 episodes|
|Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Mon 24th • Wed 26th|