|ITV transmission date||13th May 1964 (Wednesday)|
|Stories by|| Harry Driver|
|Previous episode||11th May 1964|
|Next episode||18th May 1964|
Martha tries to boast about her passport and foreign holiday but no one is interested. Frank sells his shop to Summitt Supermarkets for £6,000. He buys a new car, a white zodiac, and throws a party in the Rovers. Jerry finishes at the Builder's Yard with Len's best wishes and is taken on at Roscoe & Pitts. Martha goes into town and gets a passport. All the residents join Frank for his private party at the Rovers where he boasts about his good fortune. The residents drink Frank's free champagne but grow annoyed as he lords it over them. Martha starts to feel unwell as no one takes notice of her passport. Ena plays the piano as Martha sits alone in the snug where she suffers a sudden heart attack. Myra spots her slumped over the table and Jerry alerts Jack and Annie. They find she has died. Ena is distraught and the shocked neighbours silently leave the pub and return to their homes.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Concepta Hewitt - Doreen Keogh
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Jerry Booth - Graham Haberfield
- Myra Booth - Susan Jameson
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Final appearance of Lynne Carol as Martha Longhurst.
- This was the first episode in Tim Aspinall's run as producer. His final episode was on Episode 395 on 23rd September 1964.
- The end credits of this episode are played over a shot of Martha's glasses, passport and sherry glass on the table of the snug. In a first for the series, no music is played during the credits.
- TV Times synopsis: Frank and Martha show that good luck and misfortune always go hand in hand
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 7,877,000 homes (3rd place).
- This episode was included on the following commercial releases:
|May 1964 episodes|
|Mon 4th • Wed 6th • Mon 11th • Wed 13th • Mon 18th • Wed 20th • Mon 25th • Wed 27th|