The residents prepare the Mission for the bazaar. Florrie asks Ken's advice on the wage packet. He advises her to send it back to the factory in Ireland. Elsie tells Irma that if she doesn't want to live with her parents, she can lodge with her. Alfred Wormold offers No.13 to the Ogdens for £600 but they agree on £575. Len is shocked to hear how much Wormold has conned the Ogdens out of. Stan and wife Hilda look round the house and he puts £200 down, taking out a mortgage on the rest. Swindley worries about a downturn at Gamma Garments. Irma can't see how six of them will cope in the house. Swindley measures Len for his best man's suit. The Ogdens meet the regulars in the Rovers. Irma tells a worried Elsie that the Street won't know what's hit them when her family move in.
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Miss Nugent - Eileen Derbyshire
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- Mr Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Stan Ogden - Bernard Youens
- Hilda Ogden - Jean Alexander
- Irma Ogden - Sandra Gough
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 13 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- Corner Shop
- Mission of Glad Tidings
- Leonard Swindley's flat
- First appearance of Hilda Ogden.
- This episode was scheduled for transmission on Wednesday 1st July but a strike by members of the ACTT (Association of Cinematograph Television and Allied Technicians) union began at midnight on Tuesday 30th June which continued until 7.55pm on Monday 6th July. The episode was therefore transmitted on Wednesday 8th July. The following two episodes as written (372 and 373) were due to be recorded on Friday 3rd July but the strike prevented this. The next episode was therefore Episode 374 (13th July 1964).
- From Episode 172 (6th August 1962) to Episode 459 (5th May 1965) the programme featured a standardised cast list for the regular characters. This means that in this episode the following were credited but did not appear: Minnie Caldwell (Margot Bryant), Concepta Hewitt (Doreen Keogh), Harry Hewitt (Ivan Beavis), Valerie Barlow (Anne Reid), Dennis Tanner (Philip Lowrie) and Charlie Moffitt (Gordon Rollings). These were displayed over film of Gloucester Street in Ordsall, panning down from the Amalgamated pub to the cobbles. A photocaption of the latter was used in the majority of the remainder of the 1960s end credits.
- TV Times synopsis: No.13, Coronation Street is sold
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,543,000 homes (2nd place).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1960-1969, released on 31st July 2006.
|July 1964 episodes|
|Wed 8th • Mon 13th • Wed 15th • Mon 20th • Wed 22nd • Mon 27th • Wed 29th|