Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
|ITV transmission date||8th April 1996 (Monday)|
|Story editor||Paul Marquess|
|Story associates|| Gillian Creswell|
|Executive Producer||Carolyn Reynolds|
|Previous episode||5th April 1996|
|Next episode||10th April 1996|
Derek uses a camcorder to record the transformation of the allotment. Roy takes charge as the menfolk - Jack, Bill, Fred, Martin, Alf, Gary and Billy set off to the races. With Des away for a few days Andy hopes to persuade Anne to stay the night at No.6. Roy refuses to drink with the others and spends his time working out a formula to win on the horses. He fancies betting on "Betty's Hot Shot". The others join him as they like the name. Maureen keeps breaking down at the shop. Liz gets recalled by The Hour Glass as the manager is no good. She is given the job. "Betty's Hot Shot" wins at 50-1, giving the men £250 each. Jack suggests they invest their winnings by buying the horse as it's a selling handicap. The trainer, Hilary Forrest tells them the horse has tons of potential. Roy pulls out of buying the horse but the others go for it. Jack bids on their behalf, unsure about what he's doing. Egged on by Maud, Maureen tells the customers about Reg leaving her. The men buy the horse for £2,600 guineas, costing their winnings plus £90 each. Hilary agrees to keep training him. Anne and Andy fall out when she takes Liz's side against violent Jim. She refuses to have dinner with him and goes home. The men are horrified when Roy tells them it costs £10,000 a year to keep a racehorse.
- Mavis Wilton - Thelma Barlow
- Derek Wilton - Peter Baldwin
- Billy Williams - Frank Mills
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Roy Cropper - David Neilson
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Gary Mallett - Ian Mercer
- Don Brennan - Geoff Hinsliff
- Alf Roberts - Bryan Mosley
- Bill Webster - Peter Armitage
- Percy Sugden - Bill Waddington
- Maud Grimes - Elizabeth Bradley
- Maureen Holdsworth - Sherrie Hewson
- Des Barnes - Philip Middlemiss
- Andy McDonald - Nicholas Cochrane
- Raquel Watts - Sarah Lancashire
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Joyce Smedley - Anita Carey
- Judy Mallett - Gaynor Faye
- Deirdre Rachid - Anne Kirkbride
- Liz McDonald - Beverley Callard
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Anne Malone - Eve Steele
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- Corner Shop - Shop and back room
- Race course
- The auctioneer at the horse sale is uncredited despite having several lines of dialogue.
- TV Times synopsis: The Rovers Return regulars have a day out at the races, and Derek Wilton turns movie-maker.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 15,850,000 viewers (3rd place - combined figure including repeat).
- This episode was included in the Network DVD collection Coronation Street: The Best of 1990-1999, released on 5th September 2011.
|April 1996 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Fri 5th • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Fri 12th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Fri 19th • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Fri 26th • Mon 29th