|ITV transmission date||1st May 1961 (Monday)|
|Previous episode||26th April 1961|
|Next episode||3rd May 1961|
Dr. Graham clears Linda and the baby. Esther looks after the Barlows as they can not cope without Ida. Swindley offers Ena her job back but she has discovered they've already interviewed five others for the job. She agrees to go back with a 10/- raise and then reveals she bribed the others to turn the job down. Weatherfield County FC's manager picks David for the first team. Ivan gets a job at the local ironworks and celebrates with a salami sausage. Ken tells Frank about Marian.
- Esther Hayes - Daphne Oxenford
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Linda Cheveski - Anne Cunningham
- Ivan Cheveski - Ernst Walder
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Leonard Swindley - Arthur Lowe
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Harry Hewitt - Ivan Beavis
- Len Fairclough - Peter Adamson
- This episode marks the writing debut of Adele Rose, the second-most prolific contributor of scripts to the programme (after Peter Whalley) and its longest-running writer in terms of years in the role.
- Although Westward Television was launched on Saturday 29th April, 1961, the station initially opted out of transmitting Coronation Street only joining the programme with Episode 48 on 29th May. The show was therefore not fully networked for the interim four-week period.
- TV Times: No synopsis appeared in the magazine between Episode 3 (16th December 1960) and Episode 80 (18th September 1961) with the exception of Episode 64 (24th July 1961).
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,306,000 homes (6th place).
|May 1961 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st