|ITV transmission date||17th November 1997 (Monday)|
|Story/Script editor||Ann McManus|
|Story associates|| Di Burrows|
|Previous episode||16th November 1997|
|Next episode||19th November 1997|
Deirdre is aghast when Jon tells her the car has been stolen. She wants to call in the police but he tells her his firm will sort it all out. Alec is horrified when Ken rips Geraldine Milne's cheque up, telling him that he is not a prostitute. When Gail tells Nick that Leanne's a slut, he hits back saying that it takes one to know one and at least she doesn't buy babies like their friends the Malletts. He tells them that Leanne saw Zoe with the £2,000 but Gail refuses to believe him. Fred has the shop freshly fitted out with shelving units. To get back at Fred for his underhand behaviour, Maud mischievously drops a fish behind one of the units before it is sealed up. Vera is thrilled when her American friend Maxwell Baxter sends her a bra he has named after her. Fred wins Ashley over by telling him he and Maxine can rent No.4. Maxine is thrilled. Jon has to cut a photograph of him and Deirdre out of the paper before Linda sees it. She tells him they should use his bonus to go on holiday. Ken is amazed when Alec gives him a £50 fee for spending the evening with Geraldine.
- Deirdre Rachid - Anne Kirkbride
- Ashley Peacock - Steven Arnold
- Maxine Heavey - Tracy Shaw
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Gail Platt - Helen Worth
- Martin Platt - Sean Wilson
- Nick Tilsley - Adam Rickitt
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Maud Grimes - Elizabeth Bradley
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Leanne Battersby - Jane Danson
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Judy Mallett - Gaynor Faye
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Gary Mallett - Ian Mercer
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public and back room
- 4 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 5 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- 8 Coronation Street - Downstairs rooms
- Corner Shop
- 15 Oakside Road - Living room
- Peter Kay, famous later on for his stand-up routine, Phoenix Nights and Max and Paddy's Road to Nowhere, appears as a Shopfitter. When he was a nationally-famous name he reappeared in Coronation Street as drayman Eric Gartside in Episodes 5680 and 5681 in January 2004.
- TV Times synopsis: Maud has a plan to wreak revenge on Fred. Nick reveals a secret to Gail and Martin.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 18,030,000 viewers (1st place - combined figure including repeat).
- This episode - along with Episodes 5680 and 5681 - was included as a special feature on the Peter Kay DVD Driven to Distraction, released by Granada Ventures on 3rd October 2005.
|November 1997 episodes|
|Sun 2nd • Mon 3rd • Wed 5th • Fri 7th • Sun 9th • Mon 10th • Wed 12th • Fri 14th • Sun 16th
Mon 17th • Wed 19th • Fri 21st • Sun 23rd • Mon 24th • Wed 26th • Fri 28th • Sun 30th