|ITV transmission date||29th June 1998 (Monday)|
|Script editor||Ann McManus|
|Story editor||Jim O'Hanlon|
|Story associates|| Di Burrows|
|Previous episode||28th June 1998|
|Next episode||1st July 1998|
Steve finds Jim on the floor having spent all night like it. Sandy Hunter shows off his skills with the cocktail shaker and creates a "Bloody Vera". Jim decides to give up alcohol. Roy hangs around outside Hayley's home until she arrives back. She is delighted to see him but neither of them knows where they stand. Jack is humiliated when his back goes and Sandy takes on the cellar work. Fred tells Maxine that he needs a deposit and the first month's rent before she can move in. She wonders where she's going to get £510 from. Steve tells Jim's therapist, Michael Wall, that he's refusing all help. Roy is relieved to discover that Hayley just rents a room on Johan's houseboat. Michael tells Jim he has to have the will to want to work again and must come to terms with what's happened to him. Emily buys Spider a second-hand suit to help in his campaign. She is shocked when he admits that he will refuse his Council seat if he is elected as he doesn't want his values to be corrupted. Fred and Alec force Audrey to write to the Gazette demanding a retraction on her article. Maud is concerned when she sees Jim push his chair out into the path of Mike's car. He is angry when Mike manages to avoid hitting him.
- Jim McDonald - Charles Lawson
- Steve McDonald - Simon Gregson
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Spider Nugent - Martin Hancock
- Roy Cropper - David Neilson
- Audrey Roberts - Sue Nicholls
- Maxine Heavey - Tracy Shaw
- Janice Battersby - Vicky Entwistle
- Les Battersby - Bruce Jones
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Gary Mallett - Ian Mercer
- Hayley Patterson - Julie Hesmondhalgh
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Alec Gilroy - Roy Barraclough
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Maud Grimes - Elizabeth Bradley
- Coronation Street exterior
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 11 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Amsterdam - Canalside cafe and houseboat
- First appearance of Hayley Patterson since 1st April 1998.
- Andy Bradford was credited as the Stunt Co-ordinator and Stuart Clark as the Stunt Driver on this episode.
- Location OB recording for this episode was conducted in Amsterdam.
- TV Times synopsis: Jim attempts to put an end to his misery. Spider has a confession that outrages Emily.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 14,170,000 viewers (4th place - combined figure including repeat).
|June 1998 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Fri 5th • Sun 7th • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Fri 12th • Sun 14th • Mon 15th
Wed 17th • Fri 19th • Sun 21st • Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Fri 26th • Sun 28th • Mon 29th