Six hundred cigarettes and two bottles of whisky were stolen from the Rovers. Concepta buys a new dress for the picnic to wow Harry. Ken brings Marian home for tea. Ida is interested when Marian tells her she doesn't want to get married. Arthur sets the tongues wagging by taking Ivan out of the Rovers for questioning.
- Elsie Tanner - Patricia Phoenix
- Dennis Tanner - Philip Lowrie
- Jack Walker - Arthur Leslie
- Annie Walker - Doris Speed
- Billy Walker - Kenneth Farrington
- Concepta Riley - Doreen Keogh
- Lucille Hewitt - Jennifer Moss
- Florrie Lindley - Betty Alberge
- Albert Tatlock - Jack Howarth
- Ena Sharples - Violet Carson
- Ivan Cheveski - Ernst Walder
- Kenneth Barlow - William Roache
- Ida Barlow - Noel Dyson
- Frank Barlow - Frank Pemberton
- David Barlow - Alan Rothwell
- Martha Longhurst - Lynne Carol
- Minnie Caldwell - Margot Bryant
- This episode carries no director credit, either on-screen or in TV Times.
- Although Westward Television was launched on Saturday 29th April, 1961, the station initially opted out of transmitting Coronation Street only joining the programme with Episode 48 on 29th May. The show was therefore not fully networked for the interim four-week period.
- TV Times: Every front door hides a story. Behind the front doors in Coronation Street are stories of excitement and joy, pathos and humour (This generic synopsis did not appear in all regional editions)
- Viewing Figures: First UK broadcast - 6,000,000 homes (joint 7th place with Episode 44).
|May 1961 episodes|
|Mon 1st • Wed 3rd • Mon 8th • Wed 10th • Mon 15th • Wed 17th
Mon 22nd • Wed 24th • Mon 29th • Wed 31st