|ITV transmission date||11th August 1999 (Wednesday)|
|Script editor||Pamela Woods|
|Story editor||David Lane|
|Story associates|| Di Burrows|
|Executive Producer||Carolyn Reynolds|
|Previous episode||9th August 1999|
|Next episode||13th August 1999|
As Jack prepares for his by-pass operation he regrets wasting so much of his life. Blanche is furious to hear that Emily has replaced Deirdre at Underworld. Spider and Toyah set up a tent on the Red Rec to watch the eclipse. Vera gets emotional as Jack goes for his operation. She tells him that she loves him. He is scared as he's taken down. Spider realises that Toyah has blossomed into a woman and kisses her. She is thrilled and responds. They miss the eclipse as they make love in the tent. Afterwards he feels bad for taking advantage of her but she is thrilled. Blanche tries to get Deirdre to apologise to Mike and be reinstated but she refuses. Vera sits by Jack's bedside as he regains consciousness after the operation and tells her that he loves her. Spider is alarmed when Toyah tells him that she's always loved him and they're soulmates.
- Jack Duckworth - William Tarmey
- Emily Bishop - Eileen Derbyshire
- Toyah Battersby - Georgia Taylor
- Spider Nugent - Martin Hancock
- Ken Barlow - William Roache
- Blanche Hunt - Maggie Jones
- Deirdre Rachid - Anne Kirkbride
- Vera Duckworth - Elizabeth Dawn
- Les Battersby - Bruce Jones
- Fred Elliott - John Savident
- Linda Sykes - Jacqueline Pirie
- Betty Williams - Betty Driver
- Natalie Barnes - Denise Welch
- Mike Baldwin - Johnny Briggs
- Rovers Return Inn - Public
- 1 Coronation Street - Back room and kitchen
- 3 Coronation Street - Back room, kitchen and hallway
- Nightingale Street
- Red Rec
- Weatherfield General - Cardiac care unit
- This episode was broadcast at 9.55pm to allow for coverage of Champions League football.
- TV Times synopsis: Jack undergoes major heart surgery, while Spider and Toyah get carried away during the eclipse.
- Viewing Figures: UK broadcast - 11,760,000 viewers (7th place - combined figure including repeat).
Natalie Barnes: "I don't know how they do a by-pass operation but I'm sure it's a pretty tricky procedure."
Betty Williams: "To think... I get excited if I manage to thread a needle and stitch up me hem!"
|August 1999 episodes|
|Sun 1st • Mon 2nd • Wed 4th • Fri 6th • Sun 8th • Mon 9th • Wed 11th • Fri 13th • Sun 15th • Mon 16th
Wed 18th • Fri 20th • Sun 22nd • Mon 23rd • Wed 25th • Fri 27th • Sun 29th • Mon 30th